Sunday, February 26, 2006

Acting/Directing Class

I hope everyone is having a great weekend! I have class this weekend, and it's the Acting/Directing module. Luckily, I don't have to act OR direct...we just study different performances of plays. Not the most interesting thing in the world, but sometimes it's pretty fun. My teacher is so cool...we all love her! We meet in a big lecture hall in my school, and it's absolutely freezing. I still haven't quite figured out how to work the radiators. I don't think I'd even seen a radiator until I came to England, but they're everywhere here! They're great to dry clothes on, since very few people here have clothes dryers. This weekend, Catherine went to London with her sister and friend, and they're going to see the musical "The Lion King," which is fantastic! Tonight, Marfo and I went with one of our friends from school to see "The Crucible" at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre. It was AMAZING. I've seen the movie, with Daniel Day-Lewis and Winona Ryder, and the play was just as good! No one in the audience moved the entire time, because we couldn't take our eyes off of the stage. During the intermission, I was looking at some of the actors' resumes, and most of them have been in British soap operas. A few of them have even been in movies like "Kingdom of Heaven," "Tomb Raider," and "When Darkness Falls." The girl who played Abigail Williams, the lead role, was in a Coldplay music video! Pretty cool! Tomorrow I have class again, but we get a three hour lunch break, so that won't be too bad. My landlord, Jeremy, just got his very first cell phone, or "mobile." I spent about twenty minutes one morning teaching him how to work it. It's really funny! In other news, they've discovered two dead swans near Stratford-upon-Avon, and the bodies have been sent off to be tested for the bird flu! The bird flu has spread pretty quickly throughout Europe, and it's even in France, which is the closest mainland country to Europe. Yikes! Today, Marfo gave me a HUGE chocolate bar from Greece. I tried to decipher some of the writing on the package, and I figured out one word...sokolata, or chocolate! Thanks to being in a sorority for four years, I can read almost every Greek letter, and the sounds are pretty much the same in English as they are in Greek. For example, the letter Sigma makes the "s" sound. Rho makes the "r" sound, Lambda makes the "l" sound, and so on. Two letter we pronounce wrong in English are Chi and Delta. In REAL Greek, the letter Chi is pronounced kind of like "key," and Delta is pronounced "thelta," because they don't have the "d" sound in Greek. I thought that was interesting! Have a great weekend!

Picture from Marfo's birthday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home