Thursday, February 23, 2006

Where is Spring?

Well, the weather hasn't been quite as cold lately, and the sun is setting a little bit later, but it doesn't seem like spring will be here anytime soon! Marfo laughs at me because everyday I make a comment about the weather. It'll be nice going home at the end of March...when I leave England, it will still be cold, but by the time I come back, the weathe should be nice and beautiful. On Tuesday, I had class in the morning. The class is Shakespeare's Women, and there's only one guy in there! I feel bad for him, because I'm sure he's bored out of his mind, but to us girls, the class is interesting! On Tuesday night, a group of us went to Cafe Uno for Marfo's birthday. I learned some new British words! We were talking about clothes, and I discovered tank tops/sleeveless shirts are called "vests" in England. This explains a lot, because one time I was reading a magazine article about a girl who wore a vest and shorts in the summer because it was so hot, and I was really confused. I thought she meant an actual vest, not a tank top, and I remember thinking, "What a random outfit!" Glad that's cleared up. :) I asked what they call American vests, and in England they're called "waistcoats." It makes sense, I guess. Also, in England, they don't give birthday spankings, they give birthday "bumps." People lift you up by your arms and legs and swing you up and down into the air. Needless to say, only small children actually receive birthday bumps! Today I went for a nice walk, and I passed by one of the actors who was in the play I saw Monday night..he was jogging along the river! It's funny running into the Royal Shakespeare Company actors around town. Many of my classmates are huge theater fans, and they think some of the actors are practically movie stars! But some famous people did get their start as Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) actors, like Kenneth Branaugh, Judi Dench, and Patrick Stewart. Tonight, Marfo and I went to see the movie "Casanova." It was pretty good! Since movies come out so late in England, I have a long list of movies that I want to see when I come back home! :) Have a great day, everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home