Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Little Bit of Snow

Well, it snowed a tiny little bit in Stratford today! Not enough to stick, just a few flurries. It's snowing really hard in north England, so I wonder if it's going to make it's way down here. I had class this morning, then I ran some errands, and decided it was a good day to stay inside where it's nice and warm! Four weeks from today I will be home...how fun! Not only will it be nice to see everyone, but it will also be nice to have some warm weather! I kind of like the weather here, though...absolutely no humidity! It's amazing. I'm probably going to be in for a shock when I get back home! On Sunday night, I taught Marfo how to make banana pudding. We used the last of my ingredients...sad! Apparently, Nilla wafers are strictly an American product, because Marfo said she's never seen anything like them in Greece. We made two batches of banana pudding, one for us and one for some girls we go to school with who live down the street. Jeremy and Junko got to try the banana pudding this time, and they seemed to really like it! Jeremy and Junko met when they were both working in Saudi Arabia...Junko was a nurse, and Jeremy taught English to Saudi businessmen. Jeremy said that some parts of Saudi Arabia have a custom where you name your child after the first thing you see right after you give birth. So, he knew a guy named Saucepan and another named Shovel. Pretty crazy! Jeremy and Marfo told me about this big Eurovision music contest, where all of the European countries submit a song and it's voted on. Greece won last year! I've never heard of the Eurovision contest, but apparently it's been going on for a long time, because ABBA won it one year. Today before class, one of my British friends was telling me that she passed a bunch of school children in their uniforms and little hats, and she thought they were so cute. I told her that British school children (well, the young ones) are adorable - they dress like Madeline, the girl in the children's books. Plaid skirts for girls, plaid shorts for boys, straw hats for girls, little caps for boys. Another British lady told me that when she went to New York, she loved how all the day camp and school children wore t-shirts. She thought it was a great idea, and much preferred it to uniforms. America is definitely a t-shirt wearing society...I definitely look very American when I go to the gym in my sorority t-shirts. British people wear workout "outfits" - clothes designed strictly for working out, not for everyday wear. And they aren't afraid to wear tight pants...even the guys! It's definitely interesting. On Thursday, Michelle, Catherine, and I are going to see "Walk the Line"...hooray! On Saturday night, I have to go to a Rotary party. I hope everyone is having a great day and staying warm!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home