Saturday, March 11, 2006

A Day in Oxford

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been able to post lately, the server on the blog site was down. Yesterday, March 10, was my parents' 27th wedding anniversary, and tomorrow, March 12, is my 23rd birthday! On Friday, Michelle, Marfo, Emily, and I went to Oxford for the day to do some sightseeing. We stopped in Bicester (rhymes with mister), a cute little town that has an outlet mall. They even had a Polo outlet...you don't see much Polo in England. Oxford is about an hour away by car, and luckily Michelle drove us. It was nice not having to take the train! Oxford, home to Oxford University, is a nice little town, and quite a bit bigger than Stratford. The University is actually made up of 39 different colleges, so instead of applying to Oxford University, you actually apply to an individual college. For example, there's St. Anne's College, Hertford College, etc. They all specialize in something different. The different colleges are placed all over the town, some right next to each other and some across the street. We went into the courtyard of the Bodleian library, which supposedly has a copy of every single copy-righted manuscript in existence. WOW! We went around and looked at other colleges, and did a little shopping, too. The town is really cute, and actually looks a little similar to Stratford. I saw The Eagle and Child pub, where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien used to meet for drinks...how cool! Unfortunately, the picture I took didn't turn out. We had an early birthday dinner for me at a pub called Chequers. I really like pub food...it's kind of like having a home-cooked meal. After dinner, the weather became very windy and rainy, so we decided to head on back to Stratford. It was a fun day trip! Last night, I got to watch the Oscars! Cat's dad ti-voed it for her and mailed her a copy on a CD, and she let me borrow it. It was funny, because all of the presenters kept saying, "Millions of people around the world are watching right now," but I'm pretty sure that the Oscars are only broadcast live in the U.S.! They didn't even come on in England til Monday! Tomorrow night, Cat, Marfo, and I are going out for my birthday dinner. I've been on a pub food kick lately, so we'll probably go to a pub. :) I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

Oxford! Check out all of the bikes!


Quite possibly the oldest-looking Nokia store ever! :)

Emily, me, and Marfo outside of Radcliffe's Camera

The front of the Bodleian library

Cute bridge connecting two buildings of Hertford College

Random graveyard in the middle of the street!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home