Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A Day in London with Two Mississippi Girls

Today I went to London to spend the day with Mariclaire Ingram and Sarah McDonnell. It was SO nice to see people from Mississippi and MSU! I met them at 12:30 in front of Rendezvous, my favorite yogurt shop in Leicester Square. We walked through the Leicester Square and made our way to Trafalgar Square, which is beautiful. The weather was absolutely perfect...sunny and a little warm! We went to Buckingham Palace, and walked through St. James Park to get to Big Ben. Luckily, all of the BIG London landmarks are relatively to close to one another, so it's easy to walk around. The girls went through Westminster Abbey, but since I've been before, I went by 10 Downing Street (the English equivalent to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, a.k.a. the Prime Minister's home) and also got something to eat. After Westminster Abbey, we hopped on the Tube and made our way to St. Paul's Cathedral, where Princess Di got married, and also where the sing "Feed the Birds" in Mary Poppins. I've been in St. Paul's before, and I've even been to a couple of church services there, but I've never gotten to go on the full tour, so it was fun getting to do that with Sarah and Mariclaire! We went up to the dome, and even on to the roof of the dome, where we had a great aerial view of London. We had to climb a TON of steps to get to the top...my legs are probably going to be sore tomorrow! We went down into the crypt, and then headed to Covent Garden to look around the Apple Market. (They don't sell apples there...instead, they sell fun jewelry, purses, and antiques!) We ate dinner at a little cafe in Covent Garden, and walked down the Strand, a bustling street in London, back to Leicester Square. Mariclaire and Sarah booked tickets to see the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical "The Lady in White" tonight, so we walked around China Town before they had to head to theater and I had to head back to the train station. We saw a LOT today, and I had a blast with those two girls! :) London is just magnificent. It's my favorite!

Me, Mariclaire, and Sarah outside of Buckingham Palace

Me and Mariclaire outside of Westminster Abbey

The Dome of St. Paul's Cathedral

More of St. Paul's...you're not supposed to take pictures on the inside, so I couldn't use my flash. Sorry if the pictures are a little dark!

London from the top of St. Paul's

Supper in Covent Garden!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home