Saturday, January 21, 2006

Off to Spain! Adios!

Early Thursday morning, Tools headed to London to meet Mary Virginia. I'm so glad she's here, and I can't wait to see her in London! On Thursday, I tried to be productive. I ran some errands, strolled around town, and got my haircut. I'm very picky about getting my haircut (it's hard to cut curly hair!), but I found a place that's about 3 minutes from our house. The girl who cut my hair was really nice, and she even lived in Tennessee for a few years! She told me that her mom and stepfather still live there, and when her mom comes to visit in April, she's bringing lots of goodies from the U.S. The things she said she misses most about the U.S. are: Sonic, Hershey's syrup, pancakes, and jellybeans. I had almost forgotten about Hershey's syrup, because it's been too cold to eat ice cream, but thinking about it definitely made me crave it! After my haircut, I talked to my Rotary host counselor, Mike. I have a lot of speeches and meeting planned for this semester, including two speeches in one day - one at a club that meets during the afternoon and one at a club that meets at night. On Friday, I mailed some birthday presents to friends at home, and then met Michelle, Marfo, and Emily at Starbucks. I've only been to Starbucks twice since I've been in England, because my theory is that once I'm back in the U.S., I can have Starbucks all the time. So instead, I usually go to Costa, which I think is better anyway. It was nice going to Starbucks though, because I got the white chocolate mocha, the drink I always got at the bakery at Mississippi State. It reminded me of home! :) After Starbucks, Marfo and I walked back to the house. Jeremy stopped us and told us about the Council Tax letter that Marfo received. Apparently, Marfo randomly got sent a letter from the Council Tax department saying that she should pay taxes. Jeremy was mad because he pays the tax for us (it's included in our rent), and thinks the government is after him. Ha ha! He cracks me up. :) Anyway, Marfo DOESN'T have to pay the tax, and Jeremy is investigating the matter right now. Tonight, I've been packing for Spain! Hooray! I'm very excited. I'm going to London tomorrow to spend the night with Tools and Mary Virginia, and we're going to Madrid on Sunday morning, staying there a few nights, and then taking the train to Barcelona. I'll fly back to London from Barcelona, and Mary Virginia and Tooley will take the train to Paris. I think we'll be able to get around Spain ok...I minored in Spanish, and Tooley also took a few classes at State. Although "Spanish" Spanish is pretty different from "Mexican" Spanish (we learn "Mexican" Spanish in school), we should at least be able to read the signs and menus. :) Next time I post will be on Thursday, so be looking for pictures! Fun story: on the news today, they reported that a whale somehow got into the English Channel from the North Sea, and is now swimming around the River Thames in London! It's swimming right by Big Ben and Westminster Palace. Apparently it's lost or sick. I'm going to see if it's still there tomorrow, and I'll try to take some pictures. Everyone have a great weekend and week! Pray for a safe flight and trip for the three of us! :)

After Tooley's farewell dinner, some of us went to Cox's Yard to hear a local band. From left to right: Tools, Natalie, Marfo, me

Tools, Natalie, Marfo, and Michelle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home