Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Future Trips

Well, I just got back from seeing "Mission Impossible: 3" with Cat. The movie was amazing! I highly recommend seeing it. I have to admit that Tom Cruise is such a good actor, you almost forget how eccentric he is in real life! I do miss good ole American theaters. The cinema in Stratford does NOT have stadium seating, and they show about twenty minutes of commercials and previews. The commercials are so funny because EVERYTHING in Europe is smaller than it is in the States...the houses, the cars, the yards. So when you see a car commercial, they're usually advertising some tiny little French car, like Citroen, Renault, and Peugeot. And when you see a shot of a neighborhood, all of the houses are small and very close together. Europeans don't like to waste space, that's for sure! On Saturday night, Michelle and I went to the Dirty Pretty Things concert. It was pretty neat! Kate Moss's ex boyfriend, Pete Doherty, used to be the lead singer of a group called The Libertines, and they were really popular in England. Well, they kicked Pete out of the band because he has a major drug problem (like Kate Moss!), and now the group is called Dirty Pretty Things. They're kind of punk, kind of rock'n roll. The concert was in Coventry, and luckily Michelle and I stood on the balcony and had a great view, because the crowd on the floor was WILD...mosh pit, crowd surfing, throwing beer and cups...I think I watched the crowd more than I watched the band! Yesterday, Marfo and I booked our trip to Holland! We're going to spend three nights in Amsterdam...I'm so excited! And it'll be so much fun going with Marfo! We're leaving on May 21 and coming back on the 24th. Two of my very best friends, Jennings and Mary Brook, will be here in a week, and I'm so excited! The weather has been very nice lately...it got up to 70 today, which was perfect. Tomorrow night, I'm going to a Rotary meeting, which should be fun, because Gustav is speaking. On Thursday, I'm going to take a day trip to Wales, but I'm not sure which part. Stratford is actually pretty close to Wales, so hopefully it won't be a long train ride! One of my friends who is also a Rotary scholar is studying at the University of Wales in Aberystwyth, but Aberystwyth is about a four hour journey...too long for a day trip! The town with the longest name in the world is also in Wales, and I might try to go there! The name of the town is...get ready for it...Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch. I'm not even kidding. They call it Llanfair PG for short. The name is Welsh, and translated into English, it means "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave." I'm going to do some research tonight and tomorrow and try to figure out somewhere nice to go. Unfortunately, my computer is acting up, and it won't let me load pictures from the Peak District. I'll try again tomorrow! Have a great night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home